Monday, August 6, 2012

Plan the Work, Work the Plan

Today's Run:
2.2 mi/19:15

No, I wasn't swimming.
It just looks like I was.
Who runs just two miles? I mean, I know my mileage last week was less than impressive, but 2.2 miles? I should be embarrassed. It wasn't because I didn't want to run farther. I did. The weather was semi-bearable. My legs felt good. I was ready to run. And then in less than 20 minutes, it was all over.

I've come to the realization that I need a plan. I need something or someone telling me what to run and when. I started running using the Ease Into 5K app and I loved it. I finished the Bridge to 10K app as well, although I never ran an official 10K race. Like every newbies, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to actually training for a specific distance, but there's an app for that.

All summer I've been kinda waving in the wind with my mileage with no real plan on what and when to run. I've been more concerned with not passing out halfway through a 5 miler in the 82 degree sauna I wake up to each morning. Now that cooler weather is supposed to be right around the corner, I need to figure out what to run and for how long and how fast and how often.

Because I cannot afford to hire some hot trainer to motivate me daily or to at least plan my runs, I decided to try out the Smart Coach on Runner's World Magazine to help me get ready for the Labor Day 10K, that is if I grow a pair and sign up. It's only five weeks away, but the mileage on the plan didn't scare me and seems manageable. I thought it would be a good way to see if I liked their training recommendations before committing to a half-training plan, which I will need to decide on soon enough.

So, I did what I tell my clients - "plan the work and work the plan." The paper said two miles, so who am I to argue. They know a heck of a lot more than I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment