Friday, September 7, 2012

Labor Day 10K Race Review

This is what 9th Place looks like!
Andrea and I each place 9th in our age groups.
Labor Day 10K 
September 3, 2012 • Macon, GA
6.26 miles/ 55:58 chip time
9 out of 45 in age group;  213 of 560 overall

I've taken a break from my blog for the last week. Not really intentionally, but work does get in the way sometimes. My office responsibilities did not get in the way of completing my first chip-timed, official 10K on Labor Day in Macon.

Race day morning I got up early, ate some overnight oats with chia, had a cup of coffee and got dressed. My right knee felt funny. I call it fat knee, because that's the best way I can describe the feeling. On top of feeling "fat" it burned when I knelt on it, so I was a bit cautious of it for certain, but I wasn't going to let it stop me from racing. I debated wearing my knee brace the whole half-hour drive to the race, but I chose not to wear it and it all worked out okay.

There were 2500 people registered between both the 10K and 5K races through downtown Macon, Ga. I was pretty anxious the night before and that morning as well. Despite laying everything out for the race 12 hours in advance, I kept feeling like I forgot something. Finally I just told myself - if you have your shoes, bib and some shorts on your butt, you can run. So just get in the damn car.

I was so thankful to have my neighbors with me and it helped to have four teenagers chatting about stupid stuff while we waited for the race to start. Andrea's whole family runs and her husband and youngest son won second in the parent/child team division. Not to mention her youngest son got second in his age group and 14 year old daughter got third in hers. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Is that a banana in your fuel belt or
are you just happy to see me?
The Runner's World plan I was using (Smart Coach) had me training for a 53:45 finish time. If it had been overcast or at least 10 degrees cooler than what it was, I think that time would have been totally do-able. But that plan doesn't take into account no shade, blazing sun and 80 degrees with 100% humidity. Oh, yeah - and I think I've mentioned before how much I hate the heat.

I was pretty psyched about the race, so I just put the heat out of my head. Put the tunes in my ears and tried to stay focused. I slowed down enough at every water station, not to drink, but to pour water down my back or on my head. I fell in with four other women about my age and speed who were marathon runners (well, they were wearing marathon race shirts, so I am making assumptions) and seemed to keep a pretty solid 9 minute pace. I fell a little behind during my water stops, but ended up finishing 10 seconds behind that group.

My watch said 56:00. My chip time said 55:58. My only goal was to finish under 60 minutes, so I'm pleased with the time I put up. I'm actually anxious to run another 10K without the extreme heat and humidity. I know I have a 53:45 in me. I just know it.


Latest Workouts:
Thursday: 3.5 miles/38 min treadmill
Friday: 4.02 miles/37 min

I've been on the road for work, so my running days got all mixed up this week. Running on a hotel treadmill is the equivalent to the second level of hell in my book and without a travel partner to know when and where I am going, I just don't think it is smart to run alone in places you don't know well. I've been babying my knee all week with ice, compression and Advil, so an extra day of rest on Wednesday was probably good for it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment