Saturday, November 17, 2012

Light More Homes 5k

We rock Christmas socks
Light More Homes 5k 
November 17, 2012, Macon, GA
25:50 - 3rd in age group

I love a cute race shirt. If it is a tech shirt - even better, but to me if I spend $20, $25 or in the case of this race $30 - on a race it should have a cute shirt to offer participants. In spite of the expensive entry fee, the shirts for this race were absolutely ugly. There's really no nice way to say it. While it was a tech shirt, the very large gray fabric with black, red, yellow, green and blue primary colors and a list of sponsors a mile long on the back will be going to the very bottom of my running drawer.

The money is going to a good cause (Habitat for Humanity), so the shirt really shouldn't matter. But what this organization failed to realize is that the 300 people who ran this race and got this shirt would probably wear it in public and advertise your organization year-round if it were somewhat attractive.

Note to all race organizers - post a picture and the measurements of the shirt on your registration site.

Faith and I wore festive holiday socks for this race. Have you ever tried to find pink Christmas socks? I mean, red and green would clash horribly with my hot pink shoes so those weren't really an option. I did find two pair believe it or not and I'm wearing the others in December for the Reindeer Run.

As far as my time is concerned - the clock said 25:41 when I crossed the finish line. They posted 25:50 as my official time. My watch said 25:45. I guess the truth lies within there somewhere. The course wasn't easy - two laps of the same route with three large hills. I'm not a fan of running the same route twice, especially when there are challenging hills. I mean I ran them once - wasn't that enough?

I think I may skip this race next year and spend my money on a turkey trot somewhere.

Week 4: Half Marathon Training
Goal Total Miles: 19 miles
Actual Total Miles: 20 miles

See, I told you I'd make up that mile I was short on last week.  I'm listening to an audio book right now while I run - Defending Jacob by William Landay. I'm lucky to live in an area where you can check out audio downloads to your iPod from the library. The only downside is that you have 14 days to finish listening to it, which can be challenging if your book is 50 hours long. I find that days when I have to long run alone, it helps keep my brain busy and I don't look at my watch as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment