Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Running Birthday to Me

Ease to 5k app diary from a year ago today
One year ago today, I started the Ease to 5k program. I'd tried to start the program using my treadmill back in September 2011 and I made it through three and a half weeks successfully before falling off the running wagon. Despite the Young and the Restless on the television and air conditioning blowing in my face, I really didn't like it.

Things changed for me when I laced up and ran outside for the first time - October 31, 2011. It wasn't so bad. Just me and my iPod and my running app touring my quiet neighborhood. I joined a challenge on My Fitness Pal - Run a 5k by New Year's Day. There were 15 to 20 of us committed to the program and we cheered each other on week to week. By New Year's Day, only two of us were left and we continue to cheer each other on daily in our workouts a year later, even though we've never met each other. 

Instead of running today, I decided to reflect on my journey.
  • I cannot believe how much progress I've made both time-wise and distance-wise since a year ago. I ran 14.5 miles on Sunday - something that I never thought I could do a year ago. 
  • My body has totally transformed. I'm down more than 20 lbs and I'm leaner all over. Do I wish I wasn't as lean as I am in the chest area - maybe, but then again I don't have to spend money on expensive sports bras. 
  • I can tell a difference in my mind. I'm not restless. I'm more focused at work. I sleep more soundly. I'm more dedicated to taking care of my home. I'm not nearly as scattered - well, most of the time. 
  • I'm more confident. Most people would tell you that I didn't have this problem before I started running. The truth is, I was really good at faking it. I don't have to fake it any longer. 
This time last year, I had just one goal - run a 5k in 2012. Instead I've run:
  • Twelve 5k races - placing in the top three in my age group in six of those events
  • One 10k race - placing 9th in my age group and finishing in 56 minutes in 85 degree heat and 100% humidity
  • One mud run - a fun experience and a nice change from a typical race
For my next year of running I've started thinking about my goals, after all I've got to set up some sort of plan for myself. Here are just a few of my running goals for November 1, 2012 - Oct 31, 2013:
  • Run a 25:15 5k - I'd really like a sub-25, but baby steps, right?
  • Run a sub-2 hr half - who knows if this is even possible, but a girl can dream.
  • Hot Chocolate 15k - Atlanta, GA - I will do just about anything for chocolate
  • Museum of Aviation Half Marathon - Warner Robins, GA - this will be my first half ever and right in my backyard. 
  • Disney's Princess Half Marathon - Orlando, FL - I'm planning a sick snow white costume.
As you can see, I've not gotten too far on my list - I think that's everything through February. I'm not much of a planner, so for me that's like setting up a calendar for three years in advance. Now I think I will go celebrate with a cupcake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment