Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Olympic Trials

Today's Run:
6.45 miles/ 52 min

A nice tropical breeze - thank you Debby - made the 1000% humidity almost enjoyable this morning. I ran as long as the could before the cloud cover burned off and was pleased to see that I ran faster than I did on Sunday. Improvement is a good thing. Another good thing - my SiriusXM Radio app on my phone didn't lose its connection once so I got almost a solid hour with my man Howard Stern.

About three hours after my run I felt like someone had hit me with a truck. It isn't unusual for me to have an afternoon slump on days that I run (after all I'm up at 5a), but this was different. I seriously felt like someone had slipped me a sleeping pill. I followed my usual routine both pre- and post-run, but for some reason my body was hating me today. Then three hours after being stricken with narcolepsy, I got a migraine.


photo from Track Town USA
So instead of writing exciting wellness communications for my clients today, I listened to the Swimming Olympic Trials that took place yesterday, while my brain took a time out. I've really gotten into the Olympic Trails this time around. I think it was the article I read in Runner's World about all of the Track & Field favorites going into Eugene this week. The personal stories about athletes who really want to excel at what they do, in events that most of the world could care less about except every four years, makes you really want everyone to do well. This is the exact opposite feeling I have when I watch King James play basketball. I would like to see him humbled anytime, anywhere.

photo from Track Town USA
I was psyched to see Kellie Wells make the U.S. team in the Women's 110m hurdles. Her story is heartbreaking and inspiring. Ashton Eaton's World Record Decathlon performance was exciting to watch. And the drama surrounding the dead heat in the Women's 100m is like discussing the rules for a match of rock, paper, scissors. I also like that the women running are mostly in their mid- to late-20s, some even early 30s. It doesn't make me feel so old, unlike watching gymnastics where the median age is like 14.

KC was a baseball scoring official for the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. Not an umpire, but the geek who sits in the booth who decides if that swing of the bat was a hit or an error and keeps track of all the stats. It was the summer that we met, so the Olympics are special to us. I think he is really annoyed with my Olympic interest this summer as nothing else seems to be on our TV lately - thank you NBC Sports Network. It's just my way of getting back at him for having Sports Center on 24-7. I mean seriously, how many times can you watch highlights of a game that you just watched in its entirety? Obviously, the answer is - as many times as they show them.

Sigh. I'm going to ice my brain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment