Friday, June 22, 2012

Zombies!

Today's Run
5.14 miles/ 50 min

Available on both
iPhone and Android platforms
$7.99
Maybe it's just getting back into the swing of things from vacation or maybe I'm in a running slump, but it has taken a lot of effort the last two runs to get out of the bed and hit the pavement. Today, I decided not to run with my normal running app tracking everything from the speed of my music to how frequently my ponytail stuck to my back (annoying). Maybe all the data was bringing me down?

Instead, I ran with a game app called Zombies, Run! This game makes you a part of the action and the better you run the better your town survives. When you put in your earphones you become Runner 5 and the world is being taken over by a zombie apocalypse. Your missions differ from run to run - like today I had to rescue a kid who was abandoned in no-man's land.

Speed work is built into each mission. As zombies approach you are warned and you must up your pace and sustain it for at least a minute to out run the living dead. If you don't, you drop some of the supplies you've collected to distract those that want to eat you.

The app tracks your pace and distance and uses your music between the story segments. It certainly isn't serious running, but I kinda think it is what I needed today. My last two runs I barely broke four miles. Today I easily did five and could have gone longer if I had the time. Besides, when you look at all the talk of zombies and flesh eating bacteria in the news these days, this app might just help prepare you for running for your life for real!

On the docket for the afternoon - bad movie viewing. Rock of Ages and That's My Boy are on the list and both have totally been slammed by Rotten Tomatoes and Entertainment Weekly (my personal movie bible). Sometimes you just have to watch horrible, mindless movies in order to appreciate the good ones. Movie snacks to be packed include: mini-bag of popcorn, an apple and a Coke Zero. My movie bag is considerably bigger than my actual purse. No it does not have wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment