Sunday, June 24, 2012

Power Up

Today's Run
6.35 miles/ 55 minutes

Yes, that's yogurt on her nose.
I hate to say that I'm getting use to the heat, but I have. It was 102 here today between the 98 degree temps and 1000% humidity. I don't like getting up an hour before my run, which starts between 6:30a and 7a, but I've found that I really need that time to fuel and wake up my body. When I wake up, take three sips of coffee and nibble on a Luna Bar I hate every step I take can't get into a groove, so it's worth the effort to get out of bed just 30 precious minutes earlier, but it isn't easy.

One thing that keeps me going for the last five minutes of any run is the thought of the cold chocolate milk in my fridge that is waiting on me when I get back. I love chocolate milk. It makes me feel like a kid when the reward for choking down cafeteria food all week was the ability to buy chocolate milk on Fridays. I even buy the mini-milks meant for lunch boxes for that nostalgia sake - well, that and to make sure I don't drink a half-gallon in one sitting.

When I first started running, I didn't refuel after my runs. Running was helping me lose weight, why would I want to eat or drink all of those calories I just worked so hard to burn off. I would get fuzzy headed for most of the day. Even after I ate lunch, I would just feel weird. Now, along side my chocolate milk when I walk though the door, I have a Greek yogurt while I ice my ankle. Oh, and Seka licks the bowl clean - so nothing is wasted.

Chobani is my favorite. I've just discovered the apple cinnamon flavor, which is addictive.

This weekend we took in two movies:

Seeking for a Friend for the End of the World - B+
It isn't a comedy if you ask me. Some of the stuff people do when they find out Earth will be destroyed by an asteroid in 21 days is pretty funny - like letting their six year old drink beer or yuppies doing heroin at a cook out. Steve Carell and Keira Knightly play nice opposites and have a few nice "real life" moments while the world is falling apart around them. Did I believe they were in love? No, but I can see how someone can easily attach to each other when everything has gone crazy. Good choice if you like to have discussions with your movie partner post-viewing.

Rock of Ages - B-
I love musicals, so keep that in mind when considering this review. In a word, this movie is FUN. If you like 80s hairband music, you'll enjoy it. The non-musical numbers are a bit slow, something that the Broadway show can easily hide with the energy a live stage show brings, but seeing Cruise as a washed up Axl Rose/Brett Michaels is pretty priceless. And who knew Tommy could sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment