Monday, June 11, 2012

Rain, Rain...

Today's Run:
4.77 miles at 9.01/mile

I have issues with severe weather. Maybe it is because my dad would put me and my sister in the bathtub with pillows anytime there was a severe thunderstorm. Growing up in the mountains of North Carolina, he and my mom didn't have tornadoes or vicious storms, but when they moved to Georgia, the storms would derail life in our household until my father felt it was okay to come out. When the storms blow in now I no longer hide in my bathtub - well, I can't because it is on the second floor and now I have a basement and it is much safer - but I do try to avoid all windows, electronics, and running water. I know in my heart that lightening can jump through the pipes in my house and get me in the shower.

My plans to long run yesterday morning with a few girls from the Where's The Finish running group were  canceled due to rain. I was pretty bummed since I was up early and all geeked up to go the distance. I'm not much of a rain runner. I mean if I wake up on race day and it is raining, it won't stop me from going, but on a normal running day, I'd rather stay inside and sleep run on the dreadmill. Even though I was all dressed up with no where to run, I came back home and put my pjs back on. Loser.

Today, I woke up to a thunderstorm. My local weatherman said everything would push through by 6:30a so I waited until 7a when it appeared clear enough outside. Besides all of the tree limbs littering the street, the run was uneventful, short, humid and slow. I ended up racing the rain home and I won. Nothing like a little speed work with Mother Nature.

The remainder of the day has been spent making lists. Lots of lists. Any time I go on a week's vacation I require super lists to get ready.

I've not checked one thing off of these lists, but everything is right there on my paper. I think a nap and some Ben & Jerry's Strawberry Shortcake Greek Yogurt may be in order before anything gets crossed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment