Friday, July 27, 2012

Bird Land

Yesterday's Run:
4.14 miles/41 min

Birds in a pond.
I don't know if I'm doing myself any favors with all of these little short runs, but for a girl who does not do well in extreme heat, I'm proud that I've gotten out of bed and actually hit the road - even if the miles per run can be counted on one hand. I will continue to contemplate running the Labor Day 10K in a few weeks. It will depend on the weather for sure. I love getting ready for a race. I don't want to be totally miserable and get discouraged. There's a very fine line.

Hey lady, can I come in?
I was out the door by 6:20a and the neighborhood was quiet and still. We have a pond in our neighborhood that used to be deep enough for canoes and full of fish and other wildlife. Thanks to several years of severe drought conditions, the pond is barely there. Where there used to be water, now there is marsh/swamp and it attracts a number of long legged birds. This collection of herons or maybe they are cow birds (who knows?) have been there most every morning this week chilling in a small pooling of water. They kind of look like an exhibit you'd find at the zoo.

While I was icing I heard a little tapping and this little guy was pecking on my front window. We do have a nest of birds in our front shrubbery, but I think he was up to no good. Those mocking birds (maybe?) are a little aggressive.


I'm not sure what the universe was trying to tell me with all of these birds in my morning, but as long as it wasn't some Hitchcock-esque apocalypse, then I was happy to have some unexpected and friendly wildlife around. Maybe I should download a bird watchers guide for my iPhone or something.

Yesterday was Miracle Treat Day at Dairy Queen. Each year all DQs in the country donate $1 of every Blizzard they sell on that day to the local children's hospital. Buy ice cream and do some good - count me in. I enjoyed my Oreo Blizzard for lunch.


Tonight I plan to enjoy a glass of wine - or two - and take in all that the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics has to offer. I'm still debating about signing up for Run with Jess's Virtual Olympic Games. Maybe tonight's Olympic viewing will inspire me to take the plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment