Sunday, July 15, 2012

Running Buddy

Today's Run:
6.25 miles/ 62 min

It was a hot, sweaty run this morning, but I feel back on track after a weird week of trying to get settled after being gone for a week and then getting back in the car to travel for work. I don't know what it is about a long run, but it seems to center me a bit.

Riding back home, post-run
I listened to an audio-book for the first time on today's run and I have to say, for long runs, I think this might be a great way to keep my pace moderate and my mind focused. Today's book was the second in the Friday Night Knitting Club series by Kate Jacobs called Knit Two. I taught myself to knit five or six years ago and loved it for a long time. I've not knit in two years and I'm not sure why (ADHD?). I have several unfinished projects in bags that I want to get back to, but never do. Listening to these books make me want to pick up my needles again. Maybe this week it will happen.

My husband calls me Dr. Doolittle. My family has called me Elly May Clampett all my life. If it is furry, I want to have my hands on it. My children have four legs - both retired racing greyhounds - and many people would think that they make good running partners. Greyhounds are sprinters by nature, so running more than half a mile - a mile at most - isn't in their DNA. I'm hoping I can convince my youngest (Roxy, 8) to join me this fall when it is much cooler on some shorter runs during the week, but that is very questionable.

We live out in the country so occasionally, I will have a neighborhood dog join me on my runs. Most of the time they are younger dogs who think I'm playing and they will hang with me for a little bit before returning home (or I run them home). Today I took a new route and ended up picking up a running buddy about half way through my run. This cute, black lab somehow knew I needed a pick me up and nipped at my heels and ran along side of me just as I was slowing down. She was so happy and so excited to be running that it helped me pick up the pace. I figured she'd realize she was out of her "home zone" and turn around, but she didn't. She followed me for about 3.5 miles, all the way home. She had a collar on - no tags, but I remembered where she approached me, so after some water and some shade, I put her in the car (very reluctantly) and took her back to where she came from.

I may have made a couple of drive-bys to see if she was sitting there waiting for me to return, but she had moved on. I'm calling her Ruby and I will do my best not to dog-nap her if she shows up again.

4 comments:

  1. I would have kept her. Flyers can be put up and if someone misses her, they'll know where she is. At least for the time being, with you, she's not getting hurt and she's not out in this summer heat with that black fur. If I saw her again, I'd keep her if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is absolutely the plan. It isn't unusual for farm dogs (and it was at a farm where she picked me up) to be out and about during the mornings and under porches or in barns in the afternoons. My neighbors ran that path yesterday and didn't see her. I think I know where she belongs, so fingers crossed she is doing her job with her family. But two strikes and you are out in my book.

      Delete
  2. Ah, another granddog on the horizon? Ruby! You're too much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to keep her. Walter wasn't thrilled with her at all.

      Delete