Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bootcamp

Latest Workout Stats:
Monday: Bootcamp Class 60 min
Tuesday: Run 3.22 Miles/ 31 min

Faith and I, post-Dirty Girl Run in April
I do have a pretty good excuse for taking two days to post about my first CrossFit/Bootcamp experience on Monday night - I have been so sore/weak I could not type until this afternoon. No lie. I even tried to write a grocery list yesterday and had trouble holding a pen. Wuss.

My friend and running partner, Faith, has been nagging encouraging me to join her for bootcamp all summer.  I'm calling this class bootcamp out of respect for the CrossFit brand, since this isn't an official CrossFit gym, although according to my research, the workouts are similar. 

Monday night we had loose plans to do something together. Here's what I had in mind - drinks, laughs, food, drinks, laughs, goodnight. Here's what we did instead:
  • Abs, abs, abs
  • Tire runs
  • Squat jumps
  • Wall swats
  • Some arm press thing with 25 lbs that I totally believe is going to require me to have Tommy John surgery
  • Triceps presses
  • Rope slap and burpee thing
  • Pull ups
  • Lift some weighted bar over my head and try not to drop it on your foot
  • Push ups with dumbbell lifts
  • Squats with arm curls
  • Jump on a giant tire (in 100 degrees)
  • Shuttle sprints (in 100 degrees)
The MotoActv doesn't lie - does it?
I will admit, as an adult I've never been to a gym to attend an organized fitness activity. Oh, sure in college I went to the fitness center and walked around the indoor track with my girlfriends while we gossiped and I think I went to a step aerobics class or two, but that is the extent of my "gym" experience.  I had also never lifted a free weight heavier than an 8 lb dumbbell. So going into this experience it is safe to say I was a tad nervous. 

The verdict - it was fun and I enjoyed the challenging sets our cute little trainer, Clay, had designed for us. We laughed at ourselves, got incredibly sweaty and then went for drinks and food. So I got the best of both worlds - although the only drink I could tolerate was water, but I didn't need the extra calories anyway.

This brings us to Tuesday's run. I knew my arms would be worthless, but I was surprised that my legs felt pretty good in spite of the 100 squats I did the night before. Well, that all changed 2.0 miles into my run. My legs were more tired than I thought they could be. If I decide to add CrossFit into the mix weekly, I'll go on a day that I run so I have a whole day to recover. I had to take a walk break after 2 miles for about a quarter of a mile and then ran another mile and called it a day. A check of the MotoActv, it looks like I ran negative splits. Hey, I'll take that any way I can get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment